Monday, September 3, 2007

No Goals, Three Assists, +2 Rating.

I'm playing the equivalent of Little Rock Men's League A. My tryout was Saturday, and it went well. As I suspected, my skating skills and speed came in handy. I'm playing with a bunch of middle-aged pack-a-day smokers, so their skating abilities are a little compromised, but they could stickhandle through autobahn traffic. In other words, the start is a good one; we have things to learn from each other.

My first game was a lesson and a roaring success. I learned how out of shape I am. My first two shifts were nightmarish, and though it got much easier from there, I learned that I have a long way to go before my skills are back to a standard I consider satisfactory. Give me two games, and I'll be back to where I want to be, and it'll hopefully be all uphill from there. I recall mentioning that my endurance hasn't suffered because I've been walking so much; I forgot that you use a totally different, much larger group of muscles when you're playing hockey versus just public skating. I'm not nearly as sore today as I thought I would be, though, so I suppose that's a positive indicator. I had another opportunity to play in an informal, optional scrimmage this morning...at seven AM. I don't know if I've taken adequate time to grumble about the Bratislava public transit system, but it's pretty close to innavigable. You can't get anywhere from anywhere directly. I won't complain anymore, though, because I know that Bratislava's public transit will be a dreamboat compared to Kosice's. Taking into account both the time it takes to transfer from tram 2 to tram 1 to bus 34 to bus 83 and the necessary time in the locker room, I hae to leave the hostel a good two hours before any kind of engagement at this rink, which is in rural Bratislava. Needless to say I woke up to my alarm and the grumbles of my dormmates at 5:00 and thought for about ten minutes before saying.."no. Sorry boys, I'll see you tomorrow." I play again Tuesday night at nine.

From a technical standpoint, I really think I prefer the European rink. The wider surface creates more skating, passing, and scoring opportunities...of which I had many. As you've probably deduced by the title of this entry, I did fairly well in our 4-3 victory. On the whole, I think the guys are more or less impressed. They're more than a little baffled that I'm in Bratislava to play hockey and learn the language and culture instead of just frequenting pubs for cheap beer like most anglophones. Thus being diplomatic is easy at the moment, because the standard of behavior for English speakers is pretty low. I've learned from the locals that Americans have a reputation for being clueless and well-meaning, but Brits come over here to have stag parties and break things. Mache, my goalie friend, showed me a statistic online about the ratio of Slovakians arrested to UK residents arrested during Bratislava's tourist season. The ratio is almost ten English to one Slovakian. So when someone knows more of the language than "beer" (pivo), it makes an impression. I think I also got some respect points when I kept playing after getting hit in the face with a puck. My helmet repair kit... didn't, so I played without a cage, and got a pretty nifty shiner for my troubles. There was a momentary pause in the game (not a stoppage of play, but everybody just kinda stopped and looked at me with concerned expressions). I was laughing my ass off, I passed the puck, and we scored. I went to the bench with a huge smile on my face, with my glove over my left eye. So now they think I'm pretty tough or pretty crazy. I'm not sure which. At any rate, we're underway, and I have to research schedules, fit my mouthguard, and look for a helmet repair kit that actually has the right has the right bolts. It'll be fun, and so will the rest of the year, I suspect.

COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT!

Later kids.

Josh

5 comments:

cris_the_great said...

My dear Josh,
you have inspired me to never leave the coutnry without my cleats again. Cleats and shin-guards are so much easier to lug around than hockey stuff...I think AR is starting to cool off, and rain has returned too. Thus far kickball season is awesome, ultimate season has winded down, and soccer starts next week. Oh yeah school started too. Way to go on the hockey!

I am now planning a European venture in earnest. Where will you be between March 20-and April 1?

Next time the oppertunity arises I shall drink a pint in your honor,

Cris

blackerby said...

Josh,

This all makes for incredible reading. You just can't make this stuff up. I can't help but be impressed by what you're doing and I'm looking forward to future posts. I'm even more excited about heading to Greece this semester after reading your blog.

William

gooch said...

Josh,


I love to read your fucking blog.

Dave Cousins and I are drinking to you as I comment.


In memory of Danny,

your little bro

Sandy M said...

Wow, Josh--
Your posts are wonderfully readable. I hadn't checked in for quite awhile but am now caught up with your adventures and am now looking forward to what comes next.
Since you've been gone, I've gone parasailing, survived bookrush, and hired a new assistant. Doesn't hold a candle to what you've been up to but I'm happy to enjoy vicarious thrills via your posts.
Stay safe
Sandy

Barb D. said...

Josh,

I'm impressed with your bravery! I would be intimidated and a puddle of mush at this point in the trip if I were there alone and knew no one in the country. I'm enjoying your blogs...it's taken me awhile to get caught up on the reading of them, but it's been worth it. It sounds like your having the adventure of a lifetime. I can't wait to see all these pictures you've taken : ) Be safe & take care. *Barb